Recently I received a Bible Catalog in the mail from Christian Book Distributors. And let me say right up front, I buy from CBD. I enjoy browsing through their books and Bibles.

And believe me, they have them all…Maximixed Living Bibles, Power of a Praying Woman’s Bibles, Extreme Teen Bibles, Children’s Study Bibles, Bible-in-a-Bag Bibles, Livin’ Out Your Faith Bibles, Duct Tape Bibles, Word on the Street Bibles, Revolution Bibles, Spirit-filled Life Bibles, Study Bibles, Learning Bibles, Journaling Bibles, Backpack Bibles, and of course, Veggie Tales Bibles. Oh yes.

And guess what? All of those Bibles come in multiple translations, print sizes, and bindings with every kind of feature you can imagine. The 64-page catalog is jammed with fine print listings of Bible after Bible. And just in case I can’t find the right Bible from thousands of choices in the catalog, well then, there are even more Bibles on the website.

But hold on…why do we need so many Bibles? Especially when research shows people are reading them less and less. And especially, especially, when there are places in the world that have no Bible translation at all. Seriously…why?

I say it’s time for Christian publishers and retailers to rethink their true motivation for selling Bibles; is it really to promote the Word of God? And I say it’s time for Western Christians to stop spending so much money on designer Bibles; couldn’t we use at least some of that money to support efforts to translate and distribute Bibles in areas of the world that have none at all, like the Last Languages Campaign sponsored by Wycliffe Bible Translators?

But most of all, I say it’s time for me to stop lusting after a new leather-bound Kitchen Sink Bible and start doing a better job of reading and living the one I already have. How about you?

Too Many Bibles?

9 thoughts on “Too Many Bibles?

• April 30, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Isn’t that interesting?
    Bible ownership is very high in the U.S., where the thirst and hunger for God’s Word is questionable, but where the desperation for the Word is the highest, ownership is the lowest.
    In Africa, only 1 out of every 6 believers will EVER own their own Bible. Plus, half the world cannot read.
    I agree, supporting causes like Wycliffe, Scripture Union and Faith Comes By Hearing is critical in these times.

• May 1, 2009 at 7:16 pm

This post is really a wake up call. Amazing. i’ve noticed that as well. Maybe translation so that people can better understand is alright but designs and additional features i think aren’t necessary. i don’t think there’s a relation to having a beautiful bible and reading it frequently.

Hopefully everyone will get to read at least one copy of the Bible for the to know the truth.

< HREF="http://your-dailyword.blogspot.com" REL="nofollow">Your Daily Word<>

• May 5, 2009 at 2:20 am

Jon and Mikes…thanks for the comments. A positive thing is that several of the Bible translation ministries are working together to get all the languages covered without duplicating or competing. In contrast to the commercial translation environment in the US, the overseas Bible translators really are showing a good example. I need to remind myself to hold up the positive too. Thanks again.

• May 6, 2009 at 4:10 am

Hi Whitney
    I’ve always thought that what is required (for Christians in the West)is more action on what we have already read rather than more resources from which to read.

• May 6, 2009 at 4:14 am

Thanks for showing me how to access your blog. I’ll enjoy reading it. You already know Ihave read your book- what you don’t know is that our whole church studied the series for all 100 of the lessons. It was a tremendous blessing for those of us who completed it. Thanks much.
    West Texas Weaver Woman

• June 11, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Whitney….great post. I just went shopping to buy my future daughter in law a bible in celebration of her baptism two Sundays ago. We went to 3 stores trying to find a simple NIV slimline bible. What we found is everything but. Lots of covers, designs etc. yet they missed the mark. Give me the Word and nothing else. Thank you for doing what you do…Frank

• August 7, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Thank you. I already suscribe to the quarterly
    'Encounter With God', which I find very helpful with my Bible Study.
    Also I receive your 'Encounter With God' daily
    on my e-mail.
    Ruth Lofthouse.

• August 8, 2009 at 6:12 am

You forgot to mention the Message Bible which i just gave to two Buddhists who know nothing of the Bible. We put God in our image — decide what we believe, and then find a Bible that agrees with us; or we put our needs first and then find the “right” Bible to meet our needs. It's amazing that at 13 yrs. of age, I accepted the Lord and all I had was the King James Version — egads. The Holy Spirit even speaks the King James language.
    Deanna MacDougall

• September 4, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Have you heard about the American Bible Society’s Bible challenge for kids? It’s perfect for a Sunday school class project with the goal of raising money for the U.S. military to have Bibles. Check out this website: http://www.truthfortroops.americanbible.org/ for project ideas!