Let me tell
you a secret. I don’t read my Bible every
day. Maybe I should feel guilty,
especially since I’m the president of
Scripture Union, a ministry whose mission
is to help people of all ages meet God daily in the Bible and prayer.   But I don’t, and here’s why.

Every
morning, Sunday through Friday, I start my day in God’s Word and prayer.
But on
Saturday morning I don’t read my Bible.
Instead, I get a cup of coffee and read the newspaper, every
section, including all the Sunday advertising inserts, which always come a day
early.

Why do I
skip Bible reading on Saturday? Because
I don’t want to let it become a legalistic habit motivated by guilt. I take a day off to remind myself that a
meaningful quiet time is not about punching in every day at the devotional
clock. It’s about developing a relationship
with God.

Do you ever
feel guilty about your devotional life? I think a lot of Christians do. That’s why I’ve written a new booklet, Confessions of a Guilty Bible Reader. It’s my attempt to honestly share some of the
struggles and breakthroughs I’ve had as a lifelong Bible reader.

If you long
for a closer, guilt-free walk with God, then I invite you to check it out. It has lots of stories and practical ideas to help you transform the basic discipline of
Bible reading and prayer into an enjoyable daily encounter with God.
(Click here to order Confessions of a Guilty Bible Reader.)
Confessions of a Guilty Bible Reader

7 thoughts on “Confessions of a Guilty Bible Reader

• January 26, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I don't read it everyday…but almost. I don't do it because I have to, I do it because I can't wait to get into the bible again. However I don't feel guilty when I go on vacation and miss reading the Bible for a whole week.

• January 26, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I READ MY BIBLE OFTEN BUT NOT ON A SCHEDULE. I ALSO SPEAK OF WHAT I HAVE READ TO FRIENDS WHICH HELPS THEM IN MAY WAYS. IT HALPS ME TO NOT JUST TRY TO READ THE BIBLE IN A CERTAIN TIME PEROID. AS I SHARE AND RECALL WHAT HAS BEEN READ, I REMEMBER IT BETTER. ONE WOULD FEEL BOUND TO HAVE TO READ AT A CERTAIN TIME OR A CERTAIN PASSAGE.

• January 26, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Hello! Whitney, I will not hold it against you for not reading your Bible every day. Reading the Bible everyday is good but living the Bible everyday is better and if the Bible is God's word and we understand it as instructions on how to live as God knows is best for us then as is written in Scripture the word is on our hearts. So, we always carry it with us.

I have enjoyed the daily Discovery for several years now. It stimulates and activates the writing of God's word on my heart.

Thanks and God Bless. Joel from Connecticut

• January 26, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Your title is great!Catch one attendtion. I read my bible daily, out thought a little here a little there. But after read your blog IM not go to feel guilty about not reading my on Sunday~Freda

• January 26, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Loved your honest confession. When we walk with the Lord, in the Light of His Word, we are in fellowship and not ritual. A break in routine breathes freshness into the relationship.

• January 26, 2012 at 10:33 pm

You could take your bible with you and spend a little time reading and praying. That's what we do. We take our bible with us if we go on vacation

• March 17, 2012 at 10:06 pm

As long as we continue to dialogue with God in prayer, the occasional departure from the written Word should not cause anxiety. Prayer is ALWAYS portable. Once in a while our human brains need a break from so much input and need some good old fashioned output prayer time. Amen?