If you’re like me, you long for Bible reading revival in America.  The problem is, all the trends are headed in the wrong direction; Bible reading is declining, biblical values are eroding.

That’s why I’ve been intrigued by a growing movement in France, one of the most secular countries in the West.  For the past few years thousands of French citizens have marched in favor of biblical values.  But the most surprising thing is most probably had no idea they were doing so.

What’s ignited the protests is a 2013 French law legalizing gay marriage and adoption, the so-called “Marriage for All” law.  In the US, opposition to such laws is often driven by a commitment to God’s Word.  But as NPR correspondent Eleanor Beardsley pointed out, in France, “rarely do demonstrators wave signs with Bible verses.”

Instead, French opposition is driven by a commitment to parenting; they simply believe children need a father and mother to fully develop.  “The absence of a religious tone to the French protests seems strange,” continued Beardsley, “to someone used to the Bible-centric, American opposition to gay marriage.”  But it seems to be getting a hearing.

Maybe the French have inadvertently discovered the secret to promoting biblical values to a new generation.  In the past, there was a consensus that the Bible had authority, or at least that it was still “the Good Book.”  Billy Graham was famous for proclaiming, “The Bible says….”  Today, people just shrug.

So I wonder if those of us who love God’s Word can learn something from the secular French: a better way to promote God’s design for the family, for example, is to march for children rather than against gay marriage.  Sure, the Bible has clear teaching on both subjects.  But a secular world will never hear any of it until we stop shouting Bible verses and start lovingly advocating for a biblical worldview.

Marching for the Bible…in Paris?

6 thoughts on “Marching for the Bible…in Paris?

• December 10, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Interesting article – thank you. To me it shows that we all have that inner sense of what is right and what we should seek to do and have in our society even in a secular one. (“Whatever is right, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right….” Phil 4.8)

• December 28, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I also found your article interesting Whitney. I wholeheartedly agree with your final statement (and over-all theme) that it is far better to be supportive of the positive and not be seen to be critical – or we will never make our voices heard in today's society.

• August 24, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Interesting post. I think the lesson would be “a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down” people are less receptive to biblical ideas when they are presented as biblical or religious but tying the same idea to parenting makes it more tolerable. It's easy to forget that outside of Christian community living, people are almost in a default state of rejecting biblical arguments and we need to tailor our responses to get passed their prejudice.

• October 18, 2015 at 10:57 am

We still haven't got the problem of “marriage for all” in my country, but I see it coming.I sure will be annoyed. I don't know how I would feel if my Pastor would allow couples of same sex to attend my Church. (I know he would never marry them). I don't mind a homosexual person to attend my Church, as GOD loves him as he does everybody else, and there is still hope for him to repent and be a real born again Christian. These couples of same sex marriage though, know exactly what they have done , and feel no guilt, and I believe they are already condemned by the Lord. Remember Sodome and how the Lord punished the whole city? But I certainly would march to protest for the ill treatment of children, in my full 70 years ! That I would do. Thank you .

• October 19, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Amazing conclusion Mr Kuniholm, I think anyone can spread the gospel more effectively by advocating for something instead of preaching negativity. One of the reason's Christian community living has been grown from an idea to an actual movement, with physical locations, and thriving institutions is the ability to use Christ and the bible as catalysts for progress and positive change.